History

The Dutch Occupation (1849-1946)

In 1849 the Dutch government established an institute of higher education for medicine. In January 1851 the school was officially named Dokter-Djawa School (School for Javanese Doctors). This institute of higher education specialised in medicine, especially for the education of doctors. After undergoing a change of name at the end of the 19th century, or in 1898, the name Dokter-Djawa School was change to School tot Opleiding van Indische Artsen (School of Medicine for Indigenous Doctors) or also known as STOVIA . For 75 years STOVIA provided the best education for medical doctor candidates in Indonesia, before it was closed in 1927. However, another School of Medicine was established along with four other institutes of higher education in a number of cities in Java.

Those institutes of higher education were Technische Hoogeschool te Bandoeng (Faculty of Engineering) which was established in Bandung in 1920, Recht Hoogeschool (Faculty of Law) in Batavia in 1924, Faculteit der Letteren en Wijsbegeerte (Faculty of Letters and Humanities) in the Batavia In 1940, and one year after that Faculteit van Landbouwweteschap (Faculty of agriculture) was established in Bogor. These five institutes of higher education became the pillars in developing Nood-universiteit (Emergency University) which was established in 1946.

 

Independence Era (1947-1960s)

Nood-universiteit changed its name to Universiteit van Indonesië in 1947 and was based in Jakarta. A number of nationalistic professors, one of them Prof. Mr. Djokosoetono, continued their roles as teaching staff at Universiteit van Indonesië in Yogyakarta, which at that time was the capital city.

In 1949, the capital city of Indonesia returned to Jakarta after the Dutch acknowledged the sovereignty of the Republic of Indonesia. Universiteit van Indonesië also relocated from Yogyakarta to Jakarta.

Universiteit van Indonesië then was merged to become Universiteit Indonesia in 1950. This University had various Faculties namely the faculty of Medicine, Law, Letters, and Philosophy in Jakarta, the Faculty of Engineering in Bandung, the Faculty of Agriculture in Bogor, the Faculty of Dentistry in Surabaya, and the Faculty of Economics in Makassar.

The Faculties located outside of Jakarta developed and became independent universities between 1954-1963. Universitas Indonesia’s campus in Jakarta was on Jl. Salemba, one of the main streets in Central Jakarta, and consisted of a number of faculties such as Medicine, Dentistry, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Letters, Law, Economics, and Engineering.

In its further development other faculties were established, namely, the Faculty of Psychology, the Faculty of Social Science and Politics, the Faculty of Community Health, the Faculty of Computer Sciences and finally the Faculty of Nursing.

 

Modern Era (1970s-now)

Before the Depok campus of Universitas Indonesia was used in 1987, the university had three different campuses : Salemba, Pegangsaan Timur and Rawamangun. After the new campus built on 320 ha of land in Depok was completed, the Rawamangun campus which had a number faculties was relocated, while the campus in Salemba was retained for the Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry and the postgraduate program.

After 2000, Universitas Indonesia became one of the universities with the status of State Owned Legal Entity in Indonesia. This change in status brought about significant changes to the university, i.e. more autonomy in academic development and financial management.

From the historical perspective, Universitas Indonesia has been progressing towards becoming the leader in the field of humanities and culture by balancing academic values, morals and art. Through this, Universitas Indonesia aspires to establish an Indonesian nation of prosperity and democracy, focusing on peace, justice and strong environmental concern.

In the reformation era, the government considered Universitas Indonesia to have adequate management capabilities to be independent, autonomous, and to be given more responsibility in the role of building moral strength to support national development. Based on this, the government stipulated Governmental Regulation (PP) number 152/2000 which established Universitas Indonesia as a State Owned Legal Entity (BHMN). In the period of implementation of Universitas Indonesia as BHMN, the government stipulated a number of important policies such as Law number 20/2003 regarding the National Education System and PP number 19/2005 concerning the National Education Standards which in a number of ways did not fully supported the implementation of Universitas Indonesia as a BHMN.

In the last decade, internal and external dynamics of development surrounding Universitas Indonesia have influenced the ebb and flow of the university. Among others is the ratification of UU number 12/2012 concerning Higher Education which determined the legal status of Universitas Indonesia. According to that Law, BHMN Institutes of Higher Education and BHMN Institutes of Higher Education which became Institutes of Higher Education operated by the government with the financial pattern of Public Service, was stipulated as Legal Entity State University (PTN-BH). The implementation of this Law, especially Article 66 paragraph (2) lead to the stipulation of PP number 68/2013 concerning Statuta Universitas Indonesia.

Currently Universitas Indonesia has 13 Faculties, Postgraduate Programs and Vocational Programs. The 13 Faculties are the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Pharmaceutical, Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Engineering, Psychology, Social Sciences and Politics, Law, Economy, Public Health, Humanities, and Computer Sciences. There are 291 programs of study currently available with 47,166 students, among which 309 are international students, enrolled in degree and non-degree programs.

This post is also available in: Indonesian